Thread: Free Coils
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I believe that the coils get externally damaged by extreme humidity (arcing..?) and internally by extreme heat, and not by mileage. Please note that I am not expert on this issue and I am saying this based on my own personal experience (results may vary..)

But I owned my '07 CS for a bit more than 10 years and 105k miles on the clock, and the OEM coils looked and performed just fine, perhaps the dry and not extreme weather in SoCal help it somehow.

I also own an '88 Alfa Romeo Milano with 175k miles on the clock and still have the original coil.. on the other hand we replaced the 5 coil packs on my son S60 Volvo with about 180k on the clock

Perhaps someone can provide more technical information regarding the life of the coil packs
No technical info from me... however, when I removed the 6 coils... all looked fantastic absent some oil grime buildup. I was throwing zero codes, and likely could have waited to install my new ones when codes eventually came popping up. After cleaning them up, they looked perfect. However, I've a bunch of parts waiting to be installed (cooler weather is arriving, I have no garage), and the new ones looked so clean and shiny, practically begging to be installed on top of the new plugs. I succumbed.