View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #30
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Everyone has a different approach to this. If you want to have a dual-purpose street/track car that is capable, you really need some track capable tires and a setup to maximize your contact patch and avoid grinding off the shoulders like you are doing now.

After 10 years running a 986 in DE/TT this is what I recommend:

- M030 suspension or equivalent. If you can't get that, just get stiffer springs that lower the car 20mm.

- GT3 A-arms or equivalent. This is by far the best way to get more negative camber in the front to complete your setup. There are a dozen other shade-tree methods to get negative camber but your setup shop will thank you if you just get the GT3 arms.

- A pro corner balance and alignment by a respected race-prep shop in your area. It costs $450 around here and is worth every penny.

- NT-01 tires or equivalent. They are easy to drive fast, are good to the last cord, and will typically go 8-10 track days if you rotate them for even wear.

- Harrys Laptimer or equivalent app with hi res GPS receiver. This will be your personal coach to give you quick comparisons between your last lap, best lap, or theoretical best lap.

- Brake pads that will hold up to track temps. I favor ST-43 due to their very high heat tolerance and excellent modulation. Others like Pagid or Performance Friction. I think brand is less important than finding a good hi temp pad that compliments your tire choice and driving style.

With these things you will have a very track capable car that won't beat you up on the street. If you add seats, harnesses, HANS, roll cage, fire suppression it will be safer but damn unfriendly on the street. Tough call. I have gone both ways and my current car has a stock interior.

Now it's time to look up track records for similar car at the local PCA and NASA websites. If you don't know how to find them, ask your CDI at the next event. Track records give you a very good baseline and a goal to work towards as you develop your driving skills. If you are 1/2 second off the track record in a similar car, it might be the car. If you are 5 seconds off the track record, it's you.

PCA is hosting an intro to data analysis class on Oct. 14 at WSIR with a DE/AX the following day to apply what you have learned. Get your car sorted and come hang with us for the weekend. This will be a great way to develop your skills and have a method to evaluate each track day moving forward.

http://pcagpx.motorsportreg.com/

Good hunting and as always, YMMV

Last edited by Topless; 09-20-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote