Thread: PS Line Replace
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #12
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Hey y'all.
I'm reading through threads on power steering leaks, and hoped some of you who've been through it can help me abit here?

My clutch suffered a catastrophic failure when I was at the track last time. I pulled off track into the weeds and then my car was dragged ass-end first onto a flat bed.

When I pulled the car into the garage, I noticed a power steering leak inboard of the front left wheel. I ignored it for a minute, as I was focused on the bigger problem.

Today, I fired the car back up and found the P.S. reservoir to be empty (sounded like it, anyway) and had drips again inboard of left front wheel, and under the driver's seat. I put some fluid in the reservoir and cranked the wheels, while my wife called out the leaks. Seems when I rev the motor the drip increases, at least in the front.

I haven't been able to look closer, as I have too many things pulling my time, but I'd love it if y'all saved me some rooting around and directed me to the most likely causes?

Thanks in advance.
Here is a helpful diagram of the power steering lines and system.

There is a high pressure line that goes from the pump to the steering rack and then a low pressure line that returns fluid from the rack to the pump. Each of the power steering lines are split into a front section and a rear section using a special connector (#15/#16 in the diagram).

Both lines attach to the steering rack behind the drivers side front wheel. Remove the wheel and you can see in there to determine where its leaking. Directions to replace are in one of the posts above.

A leak under the drivers seat area is likely coming from #15/#16 connectors. Remove the underbody tray and you'll see those connectors and it should be pretty easy to find the leak.

This is a photo of the #15/#16 connector. I had a leak at the red arrow.

This is a photo of the steering rack and the two power steering lines. I had a leak at the red arrow.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote