View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'd take that bet all day long, friend. And as I said before: that was only one of MANY instances where oil additives have caused serious harm.
Don't be fooled by the guy at oreilleys who has never seen the inside of a motor. These additives are ALL designed to mask symptoms, not solve anything.

Seems you are quite certain it's the hydraulic lifters. How do you know this with such certainty? What diagnosing method did you use?

If it is, in fact, your lifters, then let's reason together: why would it tick for 1 second, then pump up and stop? These lifters in this motor lay horizontally, so we could presume the oil is draining out of one or several when it sits. (This is a leap! But we're chasing your theory here). If you're going to ask an additive to make the oil STOP draining out of the lifters..... let's think about the ways it could do that. Hmm.... do any of those ways seem like they'd be good for the rest of the motor?

Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
When the engine is shut down, one or several lifters are in various states of lift and are under compression by the valve springs. With no oil pressure, the oil in the lifter is forced out. Contamination in the lifter can stick the lifter in the compressed state. The resulting clearance can damage the lifter from hammering.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote