View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
and ... steve - saw your thread on the spc arms on rennlist. let me know how they work out, as they are half the price of the competition. i am thinking of some for the front if max camber i can get with camber plates is -2.5.
They are working out but you have to keep an eye on that threaded bottom plate as I had one of mine get loose somehow (or maybe it was always loose?) Or maybe it loosened when I was installing the arm. I believe if the ball and stud turns, for example when you are first tightening and the tapered shaft isn't tight enough, it will turn the ball which presses that threaded cap which I think can turn and subsequently loosen it. One onwer left a review on Pelican that the threaded cap fell off when driving. I think this could be mitigated by using loctite on the threaded cap and running them only on the back.

I bought the little wrench to use to tighten them and I have tightened them down to (will have to check but it was the min inch/pounds reading on my "small" torque wrench, which did allow me to get some tightening on both) and then I used wicking loctite all around the threads.

If you buy new I would:
  1. Remove the threaded cap and clean the threads of any grease that may have seeped down
  2. Put loctite, I like 243 medium oil resistant on the threads.
  3. Thread it on and immediately do the procedure to set the turning resistance before the loctite cures
  4. Measure the torque it takes to get the bottom threaded cap to turn at that point.
  5. Check it from time to time using that torque value.
  6. Not use them on the front, when the car steers the arm would rotate around the ball and I think that would cause a potential for loosening since the ball would help to rotate the cap off when steering in one direction. In the back you only get movement in the other direction. Or, find some way to safety that cap so it can't unthread.

Also there is no way to counterhold the stud when installing, I plan to buy two small jam nuts and see if that works.

All that said I have been using them on the back for 5-6 track days now and I like the extra neg camber I can get in the back with them, it is helping I would use them on the back again, but not the front.

Last edited by steved0x; 08-02-2018 at 08:00 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote