View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #1073
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Here are some pics of the prototype rally-style shifter that I printed.

This prototype was made from PLA so its fairly light but feels very strong/stiff. I would like a little more weight so I will print another prototype using thicker exterior walls along with a thicker interior honeycomb structure to see if that gives it a beefier feeling.

I will have to use ABS for the final part since PLA may start to deform at temps (~130F) that are likely to be experienced in a hot race car.

As you can see, it is quite a bit longer/taller than the carbon fiber shifter that I have been using. My initial impression is that I think that it needs to mount deeper on the shift lever like the carbon fiber shifter does.

I am going to drive it a bit like this and see what I think. Then I’ll drill the mounting hole 1” deeper and drive it again. And then drill it so it fits flush at the bottom and drive it again.

The final version can be printed in any of 40 different ABS-available colors. The cost is about $1.65 in material. It takes about 4 hrs to print but its completely automated so I start it and just come back when its done.

Note: My car has the 997 shifter which has a shorter throw than the stock 986/996 shifter, but not as short as an aftermarket short shifter.

And no, you weren't the first to think that it looks like a big blue dild...

Existing carbon fiber shifter...

Prototype shifter...

To give you an idea of the size/dimensions...

Side by side comparison...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote