View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

You guys know that I have a great appreciation for all things Boxster and especially any Boxster on a race tack, but a lot of people in the SoCal Porsche world have some serious concerns about this car.

The biggest issue is the builder (whom I have met and is a very nice guy) says its a "track car" but hasn't released any actual lap times. In the track world, that raises a lot of red flags. Track cred is almost entirely based on lap times.

For example, Jack Olson isn't just famous for his nice garage - he and his modified air-cooled 911 kicks ass around the track and Jack posts the lap times and data for anyone to analyze (Jack Olson Every Day Race Car).

If this Boxster was a SEMA build (where cool looks are all that matters), lap times wouldn't be an issue. But if you say that you've built a bad ass track car, you better have the lap times to back it up (even if you have to put a semi-pro or pro driver in the car to do it).

Besides the lack of lap times, there is a lot of concern that the 90mm tire stagger (235/325) will likely result in huge understeer (which will limit lap times). As you all know, stock Boxster's have 50mm of stagger (205/255) from the factory and exhibit a lot of understeer. Many owners reduce this inherent factory understeer by running 225/255 or 30mm stagger. Spec Boxster race cars run no stagger (255/255) to eliminate the issue completely. So, the 90mm of stagger is another red flag that this car may not have real track chops.

There are a lot of concerns about the parts selection. For example the $14K carbon fiber wheels weigh just a few lbs less than a stock 17" Boxster wheel. Yes, they are 20" but people are wondering why go 20" for a track car when there are equivalent weight 18" racing wheels available for 1/3 of the cost?

Online, the list of critique's goes on and on (and I suppose that is normal online behavior.) But they do raise some valid questions. Just wanted to share a bit of the discussion with the Forum.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote