Thread: Window Woes
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #1
maytag
Who's askin'?

Window Woes

Hay y'all:
so there are so many threads on window problems, that I find I've been diving down a never-ending rabbit hole for the last hour or so..... each seems like it's getting closer, only to leave me hanging..... ::sigh:: story of my life, haha!

So I hope you'll forgive another thread, with a problem that I'm not finding in any of these other threads.

Specifically, relating to the auto-lowering feature when you open the doors.

Here's what works:
Both windows operate correctly with the buttons. Both respond to "one-touch". Both will raise or lower if I insert the key into the door lock and hold it in a direction. The passenger-side door makes an awful "tearing" noise when the window operates, like a cable unraveling, but it doesn't seem to bind or run slowly.
Both windows will lower about 2" automatically when I release the handle for the convertible-top mechanism. So far so good.

Neither window auto-lowers the 1/4" when I pull on the handle, (either outside or inside). When I tug on the inside driver's door, it makes a sound like it "might", (and may actually move slightly t the rear, but barely perceptible), which makes me think the micro-switch is working. But it doesn't actually DO anything. The passenger side does nothing at all.

It seems there are two common failures on these cars: the regulator and the micro-switch in the handle. And apparently there are TWO micro-switches: one in each handle (inner / outer). It seems unlikely to me that ALL 4 would be bad?

I read in another thread that if the regulator / mechanism is bad, then you should be able to "press-down" on the window and make it move. I've tried with the driver's door, and it does not budge.

Do y'all have any ideas here? Haas anyone dealt with these symptoms before? Am I dealing with related issues left / right? or do you think it's a storm of several squalls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's sorta a P.I.T.A. right now.... and I'm not even driving it yet!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote