View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
maytag
Who's askin'?

Maytag's '03 S thread

Hey y'all:
so, some of my projects around the house are getting completed, and I find I'm finally able to spend a little time on my Boxster.
Inspired (in part) by another thread that talked about cars with a lack of service histroy / documentation, I thought I'd catalog the things I'm doing to this car here. Then if I ever need to refer back to it, it'a all in one place. Of course, I'm notoriously sporatic at social media as well... so I'm not sure ho this'll go yet. haha.

But the real reason I'm doing this is because I suspect there are many others like me, who (like many others on this site) enjoy the tinkering as much as the driving.... and this can be a place to share some of that with y'all.

So: the car is a new-to-me 2003 Boxster S. I bought it in March this year. It was actually a ittle bit of a "Consolation prize" for me, as I had placed an offer on a Ferrari that I really wanted. But when that car didn't materialize... I was in full-on "Car-Buying" mode, and needed to scratch the itch. So I jumped online and looked for something cheap, that wouldn't touch the budget, in case the F-car still came-through, but that would be fun.

When I found this car, it was all the way across the country from me, in PA. (I'm in Utah). I've never been a "Porsche-Guy", so I wasn't sure... but it ticked alot of the right boxes for me. I looked aroun dlocally, and finally found an '02 S that I could go drive. Frankly, I giggled the whole test drive. what a silly-fun car! It made the right noises, and was extremely tractable sideways (to the dismay of the salesman, ha ha).

Having decided I liked the car, I looked around locally for about 10 days, hoping to find one that I liked. But I'm picky. There are colors I WON'T do (Black, for instance) and there are Interior colors I WON'T do (again, Black, or grey, or any other on that spectrum). So I finally pulled the trigger on a site-unseen car with 140k miles on it. Yup. I'm that guy, hahaha. But at $7500, I figured it'd be hard to get hurt too badly.

5 days later, it was in my driveway. Of course, I've bought cars this way before, and I know that I shouldn't expect to find zero surprises. and I wasn't disappointed: there were plenty of things the seller didn't tell me about. But all-in-all, the car is a solid base to start with.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote