View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 02:07 AM   #1
Robert986

Garage
Redirect airflow from center radiator

I have searched but not really found an answer so I go ahead and start a new thread..

I´m switching the front bumper cover to the OEM Aerokit-2, aka 996 GT3. In my quest to improve front end stability I thought I´ll go ahead and redirect the airflow from the center rad upwards.. So I have cut the 996GTR RS-slots and will close of the OEM slots at the underside.

Now comes the tricky par where I´d love some advice..
Since I´m not just after the cosmetics, I strive for a proper aero improvement however I do not want to "butcher" the car, I want a clean install, as OEM looking as possible. My first attempt was to go "Full GT2", I got the GT-2 chimney, however discovered since the GT2 approach pushes the front rad forward too much to fit the 986/986 narrow front, the moved center rad interferes with the ducts for the side radiators. My next attempt is to simply tilt the front radiator upwards which involves flipping it and DIY some simplified air duct behind the radiator.

Questions:
1) If I flip the radiator the inlet/outlet will be in the bottom, will this work or will there be air bubbles trapped in the radiator? If so can this radiator (996.106.037.51) be vented? It looks like it has some sealed outlets for venting, but I have no clue how to use them.

2) I know that I have seen pics of someone using the GT-2 chimney in a blue 986 and it looked really neat. I believe it can be used if trimmed so that the center rad don't need to be pushed too far forward. Anyone tried this?

The spring is around the corner and I´m about to panic!!! :dance:

EDIT: Found the Blue 986 with GT2-chimney, but its on another forum, not sure if its ok to link to other forums.

Last edited by Robert986; 04-02-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote