View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
KevinH1990

I think that Consumer Reports serves as a nice counterbalance to the enthusiast press. As someone who has bought a Camry, an Infiniti G20, a Miata and a Boxster (among other cars) based partially on their recommendations, I find that my long-term ownership experience tracks pretty closely with their reviews of the car. They've all been great cars in the context of their design goals and price level, and that's what I expected based on Consumer Reports reviews.

Yes, Consumer Reports might be stating the obvious when they do something like point out that a Camry is more practical transportation than a Boxster. But, in the course of their review, they usually get the relative quality of the cars within the grouping correct. Their reliabilty data is also very helpful. Use Consumer Reports to make sure you know what you are getting into when you buy a particular car and you can avoid some nasty surprises.

I have a friend who bought an AMC Pacer and a Chevy Citation based on Car and Driver designating them as "Car of the Year." I enjoy reading all the enthusiast magazines, but there is only one magazine I really trust.

I think that Consumer Reports has reviewed the Boxster three times. It was top rated twice and tied for best once. Yes, they are very cautious about recommending it due to reliablity problems. To be fair, Boxsters have some reliability problems as the readers of this board well know. I'm glad I knew that before I bought one. At least an RMS leak won't catch me totally by surprise.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-01-2006 at 08:08 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote