View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 08:52 AM   #989
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quick update:

I raced two weekends in a row, both at Willow Springs. The first was with the Afla Romeo Owners Club of Southern California and the second with with the Porsche Owners Club.

The Alfa Club race went well with a 4th place overall. There was a wide range of cars at this event so the three cars that finished ahead of me all had better power/weight, Hoosier slicks, and aero. The same can be said for the Super Miata's, Spec Miata's, and Alfa's that finished behind me (lower power/wt and lesser tires), so I finished about where you'd expect. The Alfa Club puts on a great event and they are really fun people to race with so I always enjoy this event.

At the POC races, I skipped Saturday after a Friday night of insomnia so I started in the back (21st) for the first race on Sunday and made up several places. In the second race, I was with the lead pack for about half of the race and then went off in Turn 1 when someone dropped some coolant. The results weren't anything to write home about but as always, it was a ton of fun!

My video camera's didn't work for either weekend. Subsequent testing indicated that the 12vdc to 5vdc converter was only putting out 3vdc which is marginal for the Mobius video cam's (sometimes they will turn on at 3vdc and sometimes not). In fairness, I had bought a cheap dc convertor for about $3 so maybe its not so surprising that it is failing after a couple of years of high temp/high vibration duty inside a race car. This time I sprung for a $15 converter () that has a heat sink to dissipate heat and can nominally output 4x the load that the three camera's pull.

Next race in two weeks at Buttonwillow Raceway in Central California.

In lieu of video, here are a few pic's:

The Boxster field crosses the Starting Line after getting the green flag (well before this photo)...

Leading several cars from Turn 3 up the Omega...

Cranking it through Turn 4 at the top of the Omega...

Nice pic while flying down the front straight...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-24-2018 at 08:59 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote