View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #26
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangta View Post
1. I am aware of the IMS issues with these cars .... With 120k miles, I'm guessing that it's fine?
There is no way to know. Yes, its made it 120K miles but the IMS could fail tomorrow or it could never fail. Everyone has a different view on the risk and what the consequences might mean to them. Learn as much as you can about the IMS issue and then you'll have to make your own decision whether to replace the bearing or just drive it as-is.

If it bothers you, spend the money to replace the bearing and sleep well at night. If not, then take your chances but be prepared in case the worst case happens. Only you can decide what path is best for you.

Quote:
2. It's a tiptronic - my wife wants to drive this most of the time, and she hates stick - and we have some bad traffic around here. It seems like most Porsches are manual (and rightly so), but does that lower the sale price and/or resale value? I don't really care about resale value, but can I ask a lower price since it's auto? It doesn't seem like he's received much interest in it so far.
Yes, generally tips will sell for less than a manual, but the seller will likely claim that they have already accounted for that aspect of the car in their asking price. If you think the car is worth less than the asking price, by all means, offer what you think is a fair price and see what the seller says. Don't be afraid to walk away. Boxster's are not quite a dime a dozen but they certainly aren't rare so if you miss out on this car, another is sure to come along soon.

Quote:
Also, how robust are the tiptronic transmissions? Do they break down often? I'm guessing they are expensive to fix when they do?
The tip is reasonably robust and does not break down often but can be expensive if they do.

Quote:
4. Might want to replace the top with a glass version - but I understand that that requires a full replacement of the top, frame and motors? That sounds like a PITA? What does everyone mean when they have to "karate chop" the back window? My test rive had the hard top on it, so I didn't get the privilege. New tops (with the plastic) aren't too expensive it seems $300 and can DIY?. I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't rain much in LA. To perhaps bring down my overall acquisition cost, I might sell the hard top as well since the car will sit in a garage when - I believe hard tops go for $1000-$1500?
The top can be replaced with a glass version without replacing the frame and motors. Some owners fold the plastic window manually by pressing the middle of the plastic window so it folds nicely (thus called the karate chop). I never did this, i just let the top fold itself and never had a problem.

A replacement top runs $400-$800. Installation can run $400-$800. Replacing a soft top is a pretty good effort so be sure that you have the skills to do a good job before you take this on as a DIY project.

Quote:
5. Paint - again, it's a little faded and there are a number of rock chips on the front hood. I thought about getting a nice respay, then realized it would have to be the fenders, bumper and hood - and thought - well hell, might as well do the rest of the car. Has anybody done this in CA and curiuos how much it costs (gotta be less than a Coupe or Sedan)!
When it comes to car paint, it all depends on what you want and your budget. You say a "nice" respray. What does that mean? Nice to you might mean something completely different to me. In my experience, most paint shops that work on Porsche's on a regular basis will interpret that to mean a $6K-$8K paint job.

On the other hand, I know paint shops that will do a quick sand, re-spray, and clear for $3K. It will look good from 20 ft but won't fool anyone up close and they're not going to do hardly any body work so all of the wrinkles, dings, dents, and misaligned panels will stay that way. And it won't last forever. But its cheap and gets the job done.

I also know paint shops that will charge $10K+ and your paint will be nicer than anything coming out of the factory, will last forever, and the color will be 2 ft deep.

Or anything in between.

Define a budget and decide on what level of quality you want and then find a shop that can provide that level of quality at the price you're willing to pay.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-07-2018 at 09:02 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote