View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
BirdDog

Holy resurected thread Batman!

If it were me, I'd rent a full car trailer for the week (or however long you needed it) so you don't have to store the trailer between trips.

Back in the late 90's a friend and I towed my 87 Fiero behind his truck without any problems. Pretty sure I rented it from u-haul - there may be better solutions. We had no problem getting it on or off the trailer (my Fiero sat pretty much as low as my Boxster S), and had no damage of any kind from debris being thrown up by the truck.

I've owned several different mid-engine cars and I would never think of towing any of them ass up (ie backwards) on a dolly - the chance of the front end bottoming out (damaging the front bumper cover or even ripping it off!) is just too high because of the low ground clearance and angle to the ground. Towing front end up with the drive wheels on the ground - I'm pretty sure every maintenance manual I've ever owned said NOT to do that or risk transaxle damage. Might be ok with a manual tranny, but definitely a no-no with an automatic (or tip).

Maybe pick up a couple of cheap FRS radios and have someone in your party follow with the Boxster, or meet you at your overnight stop?