View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #33
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
- if I get to starting it.

So far, I don't plan to drop the engine and transmission. New plugs, coils should still be good?, engine harness connectors should all get a good spray of contact cleaner, ...on and on.
As the wise Neil Young once pointed out "Rust Never Sleeps". Now that you've drained the water, oxygen is now working on the iron rotating parts. They will soon look like those brake disks. While rotating the engine will get clean oil to the bearing surfaces, what it won't do is get to the iron rings. The ring face contacting the cylinder wall will clean up easily. What will kill the engine is if the compression ring rusts where it seals to the ring land. Once this rusts there is no way to clean up externally. You can attempt to heavily "FOG" the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil, then rotate attempting to scrape the oil into the rings, but I don't know how successful this would be on horizontal cylinders. Getting oil to the top of the rings won't be easy.

Edit. As soon as I hit post I remembered the piston squirters. These will help the oil control rings, but I'd still heavily fog the cylinders to get the compression rings.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-21-2018 at 07:48 AM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote