View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Steve, great videos and photos! Very nice driving, you look smooth and drive a tight and consistent line.

It looks like you're well into the advanced stages of track driving so you're getting to the point where gains will start to come in inches and 1/10's instead of yards and full seconds.

If I could offer a few minor suggestions they would be: (1) use every inch of the track - giving up a foot (or two) at turn in, another foot at the apex and a foot at exit probably costs a couple MPH and a tenth of a second in each corner which can add up to a second or more per lap. I'm not saying that you need to always be at the extreme edge of the track, instead I am suggesting that you want to be exactly on the fastest line - sometimes that will be at the edge of the track and other times it won't but deviating from the fastest line costs time. I hone this skill on the street by picking a landmark and trying to put the wheel right on top of it. I practice this on straights and corners and it teaches your brain to learn the exact relationship between where your eyes are and where the tires are actually contacting the ground. With practice, you should be able to put a tire with a couple of inches of where you want it to be without thinking about it; (2) Unwind the steering wheel as early as possible on corner exit. You may even have to force yourself to turn the wheel back to straight (you might be surprised at how early this can be done). Every moment that the wheel is turned the car is scrubbing speed so it really helps to get wheel straight as early as possible. Less scrub out of a corner means more acceleration which means higher speed down the straight which means quicker lap times; (3) Can you push a little harder in the corners? I can see that you're feeling for grip in the front tires (which is great) but its hard to tell from the video if car is getting loose very much. If not, there might be a bit of grip that is being left on the table. In mid-corner, the car should be balanced right at the limit. Again, gaining 1/10 of a second in each corner could mean a full second reduction in lap time just by pushing a little bit harder.

And great job at having the CDI ride along with you - that is by far the best coaching and feedback that you can get so whatever the CDI said should outweigh anything that I suggest based on video alone. I was just trying to be helpful.

Overall, you look great. A lot of drivers would be quite happy to have your skills. Well done!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-24-2017 at 09:40 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote