View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #960
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

I am stuck in fuel gauge hell.

If you remember, the gauge would never go above 3/4 even when the tank was full but would work normally between 3/4 to empty. Then the gauge stuck at 3/4 so I couldn't live with it any longer.

I've replaced the sending unit, made sure that the lines aren't interfering with the float, had the sender/gauge re-calibrated, checked the wiring from the sender to the gauge, verified that the sender is indeed sending the proper signal, and manually commanded the gauge using a tester - and the gauge is still stuck at 3/4.

This made racing last weekend quite interesting because I never really knew how much gas was in the tank except when I filled up completely. After the first race, I filled up completely with 7 gallons meaning that I finished the race with about a 1/2 tank or 60+ lbs heavier than I should have been.

The shop's conclusion this week is that the gauge itself has failed. A local instrument repair shop wanted $750 to repair the fuel gauge. Seemed like a pretty high price, I mean, that's almost a new set of tires to replace a circuit board (and yes, I value every financial transaction in equivalent sets of new racing tires these days). I declined their repair offer and ordered a used instrument cluster from eBay for $99 (including shipping).

Sure hope this solves the problem. I'll let you know what happens when I get the replacement cluster next week.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-08-2017 at 09:37 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote