Thread: Engine Sensors
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Gelbster

Let's start with the symptom and ask for a diagnosis ? Throwing sensors at it probably won't help .
Symptom is : When you depress the throttle pedal the engine backfires and then stalls ?
Other symptoms are: ??? CEL Fault codes?
Diagnosis:
How do you know you connected the correct coil terminals to each coil? Did you mark them? Check that first before moving on to other issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc-i View Post
I am a bit confused concerning the sensors on the engine of my 99 Boxster.

Looking at page 107 of my "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" I see that there are three (3) sensors that I need to be concerned about. My Boxster, after replacing the spark plugs and coils, still starts yet continues to backfire and begins to die once I depress the accelerator pedal.
I may be wrong but I think that it would not even start if the Crankshaft sensor was bad, so I am thinking it is one of the Camshaft position sensors. I've had the Crankshaft sensor replaced well over 100,000 miles ago.
Dempsey's book addresses the two Camshaft Position sensors, the Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid and a Crank Angle sensor.

I've found the Crankshaft sensor and the Camshaft Position sensors on Pelican Parts website, but I cannot find this Camshaft Timing Advance Solenoid.

What am I missing?

I know I need to read the codes, so I just ordered the Actron 9125 scanner.

What are your thoughts?
Thanks
MNC-I
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote