View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
I'm familiar with how they work. The issue is - when I'm looking to get an exact camber number - how do I know what shim to use? With a bolt - I can simply move it slightly to accurately dial in what I want. I guess if you have a variety of different sized shims this isn't a problem - but they aren't cheap.
A good race shop already knows the relationship of number and sizes of shims to degrees of camber. And yes, most shops have already have all of the various sizes in stock and only charge you for what is installed on your car.

When you change the camber setting, you might need to buy 1 new shim to get the correct camber but then the shop will give you the excess shim back in case you need it in the future. Over time you'll own a small assortment of shims and the shop will use your stock of shims so you don't have to keep buying additional shims each time you want to make a change.

If you wanted to learn this yourself, you'd buy a small assortment of shims and then test using different combinations to create a shim vs camber table. Once you had the table, you could make changes pretty easily and quickly.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote