View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

1. megan racing says their toe links are for 987s or 996s. But other brands use the same part number for all models, so I'm assuming they are interchangeable?

2. Should I do anything with the tie rod ends?
I always go to the Tarett website when I am trying to see what suspension parts like these are interchangeable.

Porsche Rear Toe Control Arm Link, 996, 997, 986 & 987

This shows that the toe links for 986/987/996/997 are the same.

Are the Megan toe links priced per pair? If so that seems like a great price.

For the tie rod ends do you mean should you get ones that are adjustable for bumpsteer, like these?

Toe Control Arm (ea), Motorsport Style

I have the rennline version with bumpsteer but that is only because I got a good deal on them secondhand, I have never adjusted the bumpsteer. It is quite a bit more expensive, I would have to let someone else say whether they think you could get a good benefit out of that.

Quote:

3. What sort of camber and toe should I be looking for here? Not 100% track, but probably 75% track, 25% street. I'm hoping to avoid buying GT3 coffin arms.
I can share my settings
Front: -2.5 camber, zero toe. I think you can achieve this with lowering and slotting and won't need GT3 LCA (which I do happen to have, I am at stock height still though with no lowering). You could probably get close to -2 without slotting with just the lowering.

Rear: -1.9 (that is maxed out for me, I was shooting for a -.5 spread between front and back. With lowering you should easily be able to get -2 if desired). Toe, .08 degree of toe in per side, for a total of .16 toe in.

I drive to/from the track, little bit of street driving, and have been getting good wear with this setup. To contrast, before this I was at -2.0 front and -1.6 back and was wearing the outer edges more and not getting as even of tire wear. So far I am pretty even with the new setup.

Right now my track tires look like they are wearing on the inner edge more than the outer edge, but I think that is because they are loaded up with clag and rubber that is filling the little holes that show me the tread (Maxxis RC-1). My most recent event is the first one where I changed tired before driving home, and I think the drive home scrubs all that track rubber away. I'm going to mount them up and go for a little drive around town and see if it cleans them off.

Quote:

5. Those rear bars that tie together the rear suspension castings. Useless or no (technobrace is one example)?
I have the technobrace - I got it early enough in my driver development that I couldn't tell a difference... but from various threads I have read on here (the one about the DIY brace) convinced me it was worthwhile. Also now when I take off the sheet metal brace, the bar holds everything rigid so I don't have to fiddle to get the plate back on...

I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote