View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
steved0x

I have worried about this issue in the past and tried different things and where I am currently:
  • LN 2 QT Deep sump with X-51 style baffle for oil starvation issues
  • UD crank pulley for power steering pump longevity
  • Low temp thermostat
  • Double row LN ceramic IMS retrofit
  • 10W50 oil
  • Oil temp and oil pressure gauges to monitor things
  • Switch that runs both rad fans on high
  • I am back to running my oil level 1 bar down from full on the digital gauge (I used to run down around 1/2 to 1/3 from the bottom bar). I haven't been having any AOS trouble but that may be track dependent.

I feel pretty good with this setup, running on 100 TW r-comps like Nitto NT-01 or Maxxis RC-1 and 200TW tires like Hankook R-S3.

I don't have any data logging but I do have a camera setup that captures the oil gauges so it is like a "poor-man's" data logging.

The 10W50 (I am running Miller$ nano 10W50) - the 50 part helps and yields better results and less dips than the 5W40 especially when hot - Mobil 1 5W50 is an alternative an on the Porsche approved list or Amsoil 15W50. I like the Millers because I can get 5000+ miles on each fill (mostly HPDE and to/from the track driving) and still get a good UOA with plenty of TBN left. The longer life helps mitigate the cost for me.

I still get dips in places, but they are not severe and my UOA are good and not showing any abnormal wear, so I am feeling pretty good.

Ultimately I would like to go dry sump, but it is $$$. Cheaper than a 996TT though or an air cooled dry sump 911. And I really like the Boxster platform.

Future potential reliability mods - replace the OEM rad fans with SPAL fans to see if I can keep things a little cooler, maybe combined with new radiators.

A counterpoint - the guy I bought my tire trailer from traded in his 986 Boxster after 80,000+ street miles and many years of track days, with his only mod being lowering springs and r-comp tires (and he was fast, 4+ seconds faster than me at Roebling) had no trouble whatsoever and his car was still in great condition when he traded it in on a new Cayman...

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote