Thread: Bad week...
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #16
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree with all of the above advice about removing plugs and turning over by hand to get the oil out. Then it should re-start and hopefully everything will be ok.

In regards to value, $3K-$4K is about the most you can hope for. One of the primary reasons that Boxster/Cayman's with failed engines sell for so little is that the buyer is taking a HUGE risk that there are might be other problems with the car that can't be checked since the engine won't run or drive, e.g., air conditioning, heater, engine cooling, power steering, etc, etc. If the battery is dead and the car can't be powered on, then the list gets incredibly long to include lights, ECU, wiring, stereo, wipers, sensors, cluster/gauges, etc. You get the idea.

I bought my current Boxster as a rolling chassis for $3100 and the seller *promised* over and over the only problem with the car was that the engine wouldn't run. Everything else was in "great" condition, he said. After replacing the engine, it still cost me $2,000 to fix all of the problems that he "forgot" to mention. Thanks, pal.

The buyer takes a HUGE risk in buying a non-running car and the price reflects that risk.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-30-2017 at 08:34 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote