View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
dezigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Please tell more about the AutoX experience. Is it true that you almost never change above 2nd gear? How long is a typical course (length, time, etc)? Does hitting the cones leave marks, dings on the paint, body?
I've never gotten to 3rd gear, only upshifted to 1st on one or two occasions...really tight chicane / box turns. Wear on the clutch, for me, is nonexistent as I 90% of the time take off in 1st, get into 2nd, and keep it there.

I imagine a cone could leave a slight plastic-y mar on a body panel if you hit it fast enough - but nothing that couldn't be buffed out with a proper polish. Personally, I don't know, as I've never hit one

For me, the AX experience justifies my Porsche purchase - I drive my Box every day to / from work, which consists of driving up and down I95 everyday. Not very exciting, nor optimum utilization of the car's performance aspects. AutoX for me is truly enjoying the car, and learning better driving control and habits. Why buy $150 Air Jordans if you dont play basketball? Yes, the car has a lifestyle cache to it, but I didnt buy it to look cool - I bought it to enjoy its characteristics and performance.

I highly recommend it to any owner. It's a competitive, adrenalin fueled experience, and like someone else said, you can really enjoy the social aspect of it once you get to know the PCA regulars in your area.
dezigns is offline   Reply With Quote