View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 03:36 AM   #13
bwdz

Not sure what you can do in Ontario, I had a bad experience with a dealership in Wisconsin even though I live in Michigan and I looked up who oversees the repair facilities in that state (in Michigan it is the Secretary of State, I don't recall who but it was a different entity in Wisconsin) I filed a complaint with them after I had no success trying to get resolution from the actual dealership. Essentially I was trying to be reasonable and at first the dealership tried to work with me (this was on a Volvo not a Porsche) but they could never satisfy the original complaint so after exhausting all the avenues and the dealership essentially telling me to get #$@*% I contacted the state's authority who oversees the repair facility licensing and they opened up a case which they were able to get the dealership to quickly settle with me financially.
You are only out a few hundred $$, I was out several thousand (transmission) so I am not sure what will happen. I am actually a certified mechanic and currently work in a shop. We have to have basic charges posted in plain view such as the labor hourly rate, minimum hoist fee and minimum check out fee ($48 in our case) Any labor charges over $20 have to be approved by the customer on a written estimate in our state. I can tell you that a MAF replacement at our shop would be a diagnostic fee of $48 which would be added or sometimes waved or applied towards the repair time which is not much. If you want, I can check what the Mitchell hourly estimator calls for time wise on a Boxster for a Maf replacement as actual time is rarely used and we charge based on industry standard "book" hours for a job unless the car is really old and we are concerned about rusty bolts or the like increasing the time on the repair. The reason that most shops use "book" hours for a job is because you are not to pay for the incompetence of the people working on your car, a job should be able to be completed in the time that is provided and as experienced mechanics it is not unusual for us to complete 10-12 labor hours in an 8 hour work day just based on experience and working efficiently, this also makes up for some of the cars that take longer than they should because of something stubborn and we don't add to those bills in the "win some, lose some" mentality. That is why the book hours are fair to everyone in the end, an experienced and efficient mechanic gets paid for his above average skills while the customer doesn't get gouged for a mechanic who is not as proficient and takes longer as the billable hours are the same industry wide no matter who works on it. Sometimes even good mechanics have a hard time diagnosing something and take longer but we cannot charge extra for not following diagnostic procedures. A perfect example occurred in our shop yesterday: an experienced mechanic was checking out a regular customer's Oldsmobile for a complaint of the battery light flashing at times while he is driving, the mechanic was monitoring the battery and charging system and looking over the wires and could not find anything wrong with it after some time, I walked up to the car and sat inside of it while he was under the hood and quickly realized that the light flashing was not the battery light but a small little radiator looking light indicating a problem in the cooling system so essentially he wasted a half hour diagnosing the charging system because the customer said it was a battery light but he didn't actually look to see which system he should be looking at. I will check several sources that are available to me on our estimator software and let you know what the billable hours for a Maf replacement on a Boxster are.

Last edited by bwdz; 09-15-2017 at 03:42 AM.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote