View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 06:14 AM   #12
limoncello

The warranty issue is cloudy as noted, and a most peculiar cloud too. The facts as we know them:

a. The cars are high performance cars. Surely Porsche does not build and sell these cars to demure great grandmothers. They market performance, they must suspect that we (the buyers) will drive them.

b. HPDE's are growing in popularity. Lots & lots of Porsches (all kinds) attend these events. Probably as much or more than any other marque.

c. The most popular days (in our area) are sponsored by PCNA. Well run events, heavily attended, great reputation for strong safety emphasis. Porsche owners from 3 states driving their cars, talking, recreating in the evenings. Good fun, good sport.

Back to warranty: I suspect if one were to ask the dealer point blank, the answer might be "no", since that's the answer he/she has to give. Corporate line. But, say you're a good customer, the damage isn't too great, they know from the events that you drive well (not a car destroyer) - maybe they fix it anyway to keep your business. Also, some dealers are inherently evil, and don't like to fix anything, even legit repairs, while others are more user friendly. Dealers vary. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really is a squishy area - there may not be clear black and white answers. My approach was to drive my car like I had to fix it. This takes a little off your lap time, but the brakes and clutch last a lot longer. Also, I use no trailer - my car has to take me home at the end of the day.

Brucelee or others, feel free to jump in on the dealer/warranty thing. My views are as a consumer only.

Rev limiter - nice thought that one will not hit it. My first day I did indeed hit it several times out of naivete and blind exitement. It's gonna happen, just like the occassional spin is gonna happen. The more I drove, the more experienced I got, the less I hit it. Your max torque is around 6-6500 I think, so there's really not a lot of need to hit it, but I did somehow. All part of the experience.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote