View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
z12358

Driver's Ed in a new car

I've never driven a car on the track. I finished my brake-in period couple of weeks ago and this past weekend I was simply intoxicated by the 4k+ rpm growl and power after the apexes. The track seems to be calling. Is there such a thing as a Porsche that is "too new" for the track?

I'd be curious to hear from other new Boxster/Cayman owners that have contemplated taking their car to the track -- say, a Driver's Ed event. How much thrashing (if any) should I actually expect? I have the clear-bra installed over the whole front (full hood, bumper, and fenders). Would I still need the OEM bra on top of it for extra protection? What type of debris is typically flying out there -- rocks, tire shreds?

Must I have the abilty to maintain the car -- bleed my own brake fluid, change brake-pads, etc? I don't have a garage (I keep the car in storage during the week) so that would be tough for me but I am also reluctant to start fiddling with things on a brand new car by myself. If not, where do you perform the maintenance to keep the car track-ready? (The dealer?) What will this do to the Porsche warranty? How about insurance?

Or shall I just get another older Porsche for the track and not worry too much about beating it?

Any experiences, inputs are welcome.