View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #25
Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I purchased one of the Dr. Colorchip kits and just finished using it on my 986 after about a week of detailing to get the car ready to be touched up. I have to admit, I was disappointed and did not think it worked very well. The paint was only an 85-90% color match, and the "polishing" step to smooth the excess paint often removed all or almost all of the touch up paint. I tried several of their suggested methods for application, and varied the pressure I used when "polishing" and got the same results, mediocre.

This is a good kit to minimize big, eye-catching scratches or chips, but in my experience it did not make any chips or scratches "disappear" or make then much less noticeable. It also was not very easy to use. The Sealact needs to be buffed off immediately. It dries in under a minute at 90° F and is a PITA to remove if it dries. I think the primary issue for me was the color match being off. On the rocker guards below the doors, I was happy with the touch-up, because the surface is already textured which helps hide the paint. I also got an okay result on the lower hood with some of the road rash.

This is one man's opinion, most people see to like Dr. Colochip, and it is better than the OEM touch-up paint kit.
Next time I may try this method with the OEM touch-up paint.

*To be fair, Ocean Blue is a gorgeous color, but can be a pain to take care of.
I'm not sure Dr. Colorchip is any better than whatever you can buy in a bottle at your auto parts store. I found the color to be off on compared to my '98 Guards Red, but red fades so that might be a problem with any touch up paint.

As far as technique, one needs to clean the spot well to be sure no wax residue is left behind or the paint won't stick well. I've never had a spot repair come back off.

I dab and smear, dab and smear...then, in about 15-20 minutes follow up with a dampened cloth with paint remover on it to remove the paint that surrounds the chip. Work a small area at a time, so you don't miss a spot...maybe 2 foot by 2 foot.

It works, though not perfect it is much better than leaving big bumpy blemishes over the chips by just dabbing on paint like most people do.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote