View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #49
Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post

1) the driver we are passing sees us and floors it to try and keep us from passing (yeah, good luck with that)
2) honks and / or gives us an obscene gesture, shakes their fist, etc. out their window as we pass.
3) speeds up and tailgates us (and I mean I can't see their license plate) until one or the other of us turn off.
Yep. I've seen this behavior multiple times. I'm not sure if sometimes passing a person doesn't "wake them up" and then they speed up to the speed limit...and then often beyond because...well...people are competitive and don't like to be passed.

It is bizarre behavior whatever the reason.

On a recent trip in the Allegheny Mountains in PA, (might have been rte. 219) I came popped over a hill only to see a guy tooling along at maybe 5 under the speed limit in a Dodge Magnum wagon. It was a road with lots of fun curves which I didn't want to take at 5 mph below the yellow signs.

I moved into the oncoming lane and stayed on the throttle. Should have been a smooth pass...really long straight away going into a blind corner. As I came up on him he started accelerating and the 15 mph difference in our speed changed to zero. I pressed the pedal to the floor and he matched my speed. There was no way I could out accelerate a Dodge Magnum but I thought he might back off. He didn't till we were well within triple digits and a car appeared coming around the corner.

I decided to stay on it and enjoy the road. It was great fun driving on this almost empty road except for him. He would drop way back in corners but come on like a locomotive every straight stretch. Finally he passed me at what must have been close to his tire limit speed on a really a really long straight stretch. I dropped my speed and never saw him again.

I hope he didn't go over the edge of the road somewhere.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote