View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #880
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Went to work on the front this morning...

Also, you can see the cable lock that I route thru the front wheel and tow hook to help keep the honest people, honest. With no way to lock the car, it would be too easy for someone to simply roll the car away so I keep it locked to something solid. Of course, the cable could be cut in a few mins so its not infallible but will hopefully make someone think twice and go find something easier to take.

I started by removing the front bumper cover and placing it in the sun. I thought that this might make pushing out the "dent" easier.

Sure enough, the dent popped right back out with a little push but still had quite a bit of scuffing.

Next, I removed the front wheel and taped it for re-painting with Plasti Dip...

Then I pulled off the old Plasti Dip where the edge was ragged. The goal was to get a nice smooth edge so the new paint would transition cleanly. I used an exacto to pre-cut a clean edge and then pulled back the old plasti dip until it reached the pre-cut edge.

I re-installed the front wheel and bumper cover, then buffed out the front fender, front quarter panel, and bumper cover by hand. I used some black plasti dip to cover a spot at the edge of the front door and on the front bumper where the paint was damaged.

Here is the finished job. Not good enough for a street car but more than good enough for a race car. And the price was right ($0).

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-25-2017 at 01:29 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote