View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
SD987

Someone over at Rennteam received his new 3.4 today over in France, but that's the first arrival I've heard of. I think US dealers usually take delivery of the new model year in late August-September .

I don't think you can go wrong with either model year or even a 2005, as there haven't been any quirks that I know of that were specific to the first year's run (nothing to note in my 05 base either). In fact, my service advisor told me the 987s have had excellent reliability/lack of defects so far.

I was going to wait for the 07S but found a great 06S which I "had to have" and posted about previously. I've driven the Cayman S and the driving dynamics are pretty much identical in my mind to the current Boxster S (although I did not drive them back to back, as I had my base 987 at the time).

Couple of advantages with the 07 -

14 lb. ft. more torque always helps, and that extra tenth of a second to sixty might come in handy some day ; I don't think the hp increase will matter much for street use.

1 mile more per gallon city/hwy (one of the advantages of variocam plus rather than variocam), but for us in Cali, don't be expecting great mileage running on 91 octane.

TPMS standard - which I have on the 06 as an option. Readings aren't particularly accurate. Value-add is that it tells you when there's major deviations, or you have a blowout, or a slow leak (had a leak in one of my 19s and wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the TPMS, since they truly are rubberbands, and always look kind of flat).

Oil/coolant filter is more recessed to increase rear trunk space. Pretty much a non-factor, but I guess it shows that Porsche is always thinking of improvements...at least when they're not thinking up new ways to screw their customer base.

Two types of AC. Climate control and standard HVAC controls (more Porsche options nonsense). I hear good things about the climate control, and I can attest to the excellence of the standard controls (which I've had in both of mine). Heating is quite strong (not suprising with the engine two feet behind your head), and the cooling is top-notch also (worked like a champ in the latest heat spell). Very quick, very cold, very little performance impedance. Having such a small cabin makes it easy to cool and heat. I have a late-model Merc with climate control that is just as good; in my older BMW the climate control is merely adequate.

Don't bring up the subject of MP3 playing and iPod integration up at this forum...it just gets everyone mad...

Basically the stereo can play mp3s burned on a CD, but not a data disc with files in mp3 format, unless you have PCM. Integrating an iPod relies on FM modulators at this point.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 08-01-2006 at 11:35 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote