View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #14
Porsche9

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbray View Post
There seems to be increasing interest in 996's recently. (as well as 944's and 928's).
They are starting to gain the respect they deserve.
This Drivetribe video is a very good recommendation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6jCiB9dt0A
We are reaching the point, about 20 years, where people come back to "old" cars and appreciate the desirable ones for what they are and in many cases finally have money to buy a car of their dreams from their youth. Both the 986 and 996 are sport cars that you can't buy anymore. Relatively compact, fun to drive and makes you feel connected to the road while being very usable everyday without giving up much to a new car in this area. Both sold in numbers at the time indicating people really liked these cars. For Porsche these where big sales numbers but they still were at a price point unaffordable to many. I certainly was in no position to buy a Boxster new when they came out in 1997 let alone a new Carrera. Base price for a 986 was $40k in 1997, which might as well have been $1m to me.

These are fun cars that now can be had for not a lot of money. I see them coming to the bottom of the price curve with condition of the individual car driving the value. there is also a whole industry and Porsche ready to support these cars for the for seeable future. Hey even the 74 -77 Carrera, once the unwanted step child of the Carrera family, goes for some good coin these day as does the 912. Both of these were laughed at back in the day, one for being unreliable with big ugly bumpers and the other with it's four cylinder as the poor man's Porsche.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote