View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Cbonilla

Garage
IMS Bearing -- Be careful when specifying a replacement

Specifying "LN" is not enough!

Make sure that when you have an IMS replacement bearing installed that your shop installs the updated bearing from LN Engineering. The "Classic Single Row," which I was surprised to learn is still sold, has a 4 year, 50k mile service life. The newer upgraded part, the "Single Row Pro" has a 6 year, 75k mileservice life. The "Pro" was introduced circa 2013-14. They both have the same retail price.

According to LN, the reason they continue to sell the Classic is that some (many?) shops want to continue using their existing installation tools and not make the outlay on new tools.

I knew enough to specify that i wanted an LN bearing installed. I didn't know that two versions of that bearing that fit my engine were being sold and installed, and that one was markedly inferior to the other.

The "Classic" that fits my engine has a part number of 100124200
The Single Row Pro has a part number of 106-08.2.2

If you go to the LN web site you come away with the impression that all you need to do is decide whether or not to spend the $ for their "Solution" product or just decide on LN and have your shop decide on the right part for your specific engine. Single or Dual row bearing, notably. Not a mention on that page that the "Classic" is still being sold and installed. In fact, if you go to the LN site and search for "Classic Single Row" the only hit you get is for a tool to install that product. You get no hits when searcing for the classic product by part number either (although that could be a function of how they format it). But its as if LN doesn't want consumers to know the old product exists and is still being sold.

Not a happy camper -- with either the shop that installed it or the company that made it.

Carlos

2003 Boxster S

Last edited by Cbonilla; 04-12-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote