View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #10
Gelbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCinDC View Post
Thanks for the replies. In terms of the procedure, I did precisely what you describe, but was only able to draw 15 inches of vacuum. Any idea what might cause that? It was able to hold that vacuum.
If you had checked during your vacuum pulling, , I think you would have found that 15 inches Hg of vacuum was sufficient to collapse the large hoses from the front of the engine. So imho ,that is enough. The problem is maintaining sufficient vacuum throughout the entire process.The risk is the vacuum may decline to the point where air pockets develop.
Unless you measure the coolant carefully, you have no clue if the the system is completely full.Unless you remove all the old coolant you don't know if you are starting from zero or say 2 qts full. In previous threads we have discussed this in detail. An example of what fools like me do is alluded to by JFP. - the residual coolant that is not removed. When I realized that could be an issue, I used the exhaust on a shop vac to blow out all of the old coolant from a "fully drained" system. Try it. You'll get very wet !But you will have empirical evidence that you filled the system with X qts of coolant ,not just some coolant and a giant air pocket.That would be a good basis to continue the diagnosis from ?

Last edited by Gelbster; 03-19-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote