View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
steved0x

I finally got time to watch this video. I really enjoyed it. It is interesting the 4 points that he lists at the end, in decreasing order of importance:
  1. Find the limit
  2. Use the Whole Track
  3. Maximum Acceleration
  4. The Corner Entry Spiral

#1 Find the limit - this matches a lot of other advice from folks like Ross Bentley, such as (paraphrasing) "Drive the car, not the track" and "A driver at the limit but not on the "perfect" line will be faster than a driver on a perfect line but not at the limit.

#1 is a tough one, for me anyway, as I don't have the lightning reflexes and car control to be able to always get myself out of trouble if I go over the limit, and so therefore I am afraid With my current setup (still trending toward understeer but not as much as the default setup from the factory since I am running a wider front tire and more negative camber) I have been gradually nosing up to the limit in some turns, which has yielded a great reward in lap time reduction. Typically it is in the slower corners (again because I have less fear there) but I have been gradually increasing in the faster corners as well.

The other 3, to me, all kind of fall into the category of "the line" - use the whole track, maximum acceleration (per the video, design the apex so you can go full throttle there, exception for cars that can spin the wheels very easily), and the entry spiral.

Again paraphrasing, Ross Bentley and others say that if you drive the car on the limit, it will tell you where it wants to go and the line kind of sorts itself out.

Combining that idea with keeping the force vectors in mind with the goal of pushing the car in the right direction using brakes, steering, and throttle, to me helps understand the rest.

I must admit, after seeing the picture at the beginning, I kept wanting for him to say "I must defeat you Ricky Bobby".
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote