View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
steved0x

New video by Paradigm Shift Racing - The 4 elements of a perfect corner

https://youtu.be/N8qBdOs0s1E

The presenter, Adam Brouillard, is the author of the "Perfect Corner I & II" and "Perfect Control" books:

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Shift-Driver-Development/e/B017MREQQM/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1488142010&sr=1-1&tag=viglink20410-20

I haven't watched the video (saving it for lunch today) but I have the 3 books and I really like them and they have been helpful to me. But from a quick scan it looks like this video may cover a lot of the points from the "Prefect Corner" books.

Adam presents a physics based approach to optimizing corners utilizing a Euler Spiral, which is a constantly decreasing radius leading up to apex, followed by an expanding radius leading to track out. You configure your corner entry to spiral down to the apex (either trail braking or scrubbing speed with turning, and decreasing the radius as you travel down to the apex) followed by full throttle at the apex accompanied by an increasing radius exit as you drive the limits of the car (for me it is understeer at corner exit under WOT). There are other considerations but that is the short version - summarized by me and so possibly not accurate

He gives an analogy in the books of an astronaut that needs to navigate to different places in space using a fire extinguisher for thrust and shows the ideal line and force vectors, and then how to use the brakes, steering, and gas to apply these forces to the car.

The material can make your head hurt, I have read them 2-3 times and parts of it still make my head hurt

I have been using this approach the last few events and I really like it. It also feels very safe to me - I can tell right away if I am doing something wrong and it gives me plenty of time to make adjustments.

I will watch the video at lunch and post some more thoughts, but wanted to share in case anybody had 30 minutes to spare this morning

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote