View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
steved0x

My Beluga sounded really good, and while I wouldn't call it drone, it was louder in the cabin between 2800-3000 RPM, which is right at my cruising RPM. A couple of notes:

When I first installed it, I didn't get the clamps properly sealed, it sounded awful, like a fart-can. After tightening up, it sounded really good. Then, after some time, I noticed the louder sound between 2800-3000 that I described above. I did a check, and retightened the exhaust clamps, and was able to get some tightening/turns on the fasteners. This quieted down the 2800-3000 noise with the top up and windows up quite a lot. But by this time I had bought that PSE from Seb in the classifieds here, and so decided to try that. I pre-sold the Beluga (to be shipped once I got my new muffler), and then the PSE got lost by UPS, so I sent my original OEM muffler to Darin Fister at FD Motorsports. Here it is:

I went to uninstall the Beluga, and low and behold, a couple of the clamps (the ones at the muffler side) were loose again. I probably should have gotten new clamps (which I have since done) and also I read that the inlet pipes of aftermarket mufflers may be made of thinner metal and might not have the same OD as the OEM mufflers, so an old clamp with corroded threads may not be able to make a good seal. I bought my new clamps from Amazon, and will know this weekend whether they are correct:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317DKWO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These can probably be found locally at many auto parts stores.

I also have topspeed 2nd cat delete pipes, which I have read really reduce/eliminate the drone with these aftermarket mufflers. I never had it installed with the 2nd cats so I don't have a comparison.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote