View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #772
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Impact Update:

Thanks for all of your good wishes - I genuinely appreciate every one of them. And while I did walk away from last weekend's impact, it was not entirely without issues.

On Saturday evening, a good friend gave me a ride home from the track after the incident and I felt ok, but looking back, I was probably somewhat in a minor form of shock and still riding a wave of adrenaline which masked a lot of emotions and physical feeling.

On Sunday, I felt like crap. I felt like I had been in a boxing match and lost. I was tired and lethargic along with feeling aches all over. I also had a splitting headache that wouldn't go away even with Tylenol. I'm not a headache prone person and rarely have to take more than a single 500mg tablet of Tylenol to get rid of a headache so this was not normal. I figured that this was the downside of the adrenaline and the forces imparted during the impact.

After laying around all day, I noticed my vision becoming blurry around 5pm and shortly thereafter, I started to see lines of colored lights in my vision. This was definitely not normal.

I discussed this with my wife and she drove me to the ER (< 5 mins away) where they took me straight in and thought that I might be having a stroke or a brain hemorrhage. The hospital moved as fast and as well coordinated as a F1 pit crew and administered history, dexterity tests, blood tests, EKG, and a cat-scan within 15 mins of my arrival to the ER. All of the tests were normal/fine.

Within an hour, my symptoms had subsided and I was feeling better than I had all day. They kept me for a few hours of observation and the ER doctor called and coordinated with my personal physician.

I was released later in the evening with a preliminary diagnosis of "migraine with aura". I had never heard of this but it seems to be quite common for people who suffer from migraines (which I do not) to see colors (call auras) during short (less than 1 hr) migraine episodes.

I followed up with my personal doctor on Monday who checked for residual symptoms (none) and then recommended that I see an ophthalmologist and a neurologist. The ophthalmologist verified that there was no problems with my eye, cornea, retina, etc.

The neurologist confirmed that that this was indeed a migraine most likely brought on by the stress of the incident. She also confirmed that it was normal to think that you're dying the first time it happens!

I am cleared to go back to racing as soon as I like and so I went indoor karting last night and nailed the second fastest time of the week at that track.

I'll post video from the car behind me tomorrow and should know more about the extent of the damage to the car this week.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 02-18-2017 at 03:53 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote