View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #34
Gelbster

Plug in this part number to Fleabay and you can find one for $50 !
About a year ago I did that. What a fiasco . There were many faults with the tank and it may have caused catastrophic overheating. For example :- the tank is assembled from several different mouldings. These are bonded together.There are a variety of orifices that connect the various chambers. Unfortunately these holes did not align .Some were effectively blocked One other just leaked.
If I had not examined the tank very carefully before fitting it ,the consequences could have been expensive.
My point is this - the cost of the tank is a trivial issue. The question is the difference in price between tanks that work correctly. That difference is small.
The other point is the labor in R&R of the tank.It is a horrid job because of limited access to the hose connections on the other side of the firewall.
If you go to all the trouble and expense of fitting a defective tank and then having to return it and replace with a good one, you will waste a lot of time - at best. You will certainly get a trunk full of coolant and if you overheat the engine....it will be a very expensive mistake.
The other expense to factor in is the cost of a Mayhew plier set for the impossible-to-reach connections, an Airlift to burp it and lots of fresh coolant.
You did check the water pump for leaks/weeps didn't you ?
At least if you buy from Pelican, the parts are good, they are decent about any problems and they are fast. The Fleabay guys, not so much.
I still have the old defective tank that I use for Show-and-Tell. Pelican should have a Show-and-Tell type response to these Threads. Dickering about part costs is fun but it is only a (small) part of the story. Pelican (and Forum members) would benefit from reading the rest of the story. It would make for a great YouTube video !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote