View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #16
Gelbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
I'm wondering what would be the RPM range that allows engine to come alive without approaching red line

2002 986 5 spd [ not S]

I just had some pro active work done [ IMS , RMS , Clutch , flywheel ] and would like to
start driving car a bit more vigorously not racing just letting it go occasionally

I have been shifting mostly between 3- 4k rpm's Have gone into 5k and felt more power
1st gear won't need too much higher than 3 k [ thats just my feel for it ]
2-5 would be more flexible rev wise
If you are concerned about damaging the engine with high revs, one issue is balance. You mention "Flywheel" -do you mean DMF or LWFW?
If you mean an aftermarket LWFW then back off before the undamped vibration and natural imbalance spins a bearing. It is all in Search.
If by 'flywheel'you mean DMF, did you check for wear,get theDMF+the clutch balanced ?
When I had my new DMF balanced it required an alarming amount of material removed to balance it perfectly. The clutch pressure plate was O.K. An unbalanced 30+ pound DMF cantilevered out, way beyond the last main bearing is a problem. This too has been discussed (Search)by others much better qualified than me.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote