View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
steved0x

Thanks everybody, this event was a lot of fun and a lot of fun making the videos too. The last time I was here I only passed like 1 miata and got passed by everybody else. This time I think I got passed by the mustang and the viper and that was it, and I passed most everybody else 3-4 times, and the rest of the cars I never saw on track at all, so I guess we were running a similar pace... Clean track is fun, but clean track mixed in with some passing is even more fun

One interesting thing (well to me) is the last time I was here I was on my KSports, I set a new personal best that time too. This time I was back on the OEM M030 Sport Suspension, with Koni FSD dampers. My first session was meant to be a warmup session, and as I was driving I could definitely feel the car moving around under me a lot more than last time, due to the softer OEM suspension. Not in a bad way, but definitely moving around a lot more, especially as I picked up more speed. As I did the cooldown lap I was already writing the post in my mind, how the softer suspension was going to be slower at this track, etc.. etc..

Once I got in and checked my times, I had run 2-3 laps that ranged from 1 to 1.5 seconds faster than my previous PB! That was a surprise to me. Ultimately during the day I was able to shave off 5.5 seconds of my previous best. That is insane!

However I in no way believe that was due to changing the suspension, I believe it was due to driver development. Since this past July I did 8 track days Roebling, Sebring, and Grand Prize of America and learned a lot and really helped my confidence, and some things just seemed to click. For example, looking back at the videos from July at this track, I don't think I even chirped a tire once, and this time, the tires were talking through most corners. And I was on the same brand of tires (Hankook R-S3), and in fact I was on the same set of fronts as back then.

My new philosophy is that I am not buying any more go-fast parts for the car (ha) until I have maxed out the current configuration and advanced my personal development to the point where the car is holding me back. In February I am going to an event at Roebling Road with Holy City Motorsports that is a private track day, with 8 coaching spots available, and I signed up for one of them (https://clubregistration.net/events/signUp.cfm/event/7965). I believe that the coach (Cory Freidman of Autometrics Motorsports) may drive my car to set a baseline and then work and ride with me to identify some areas for improvement. With 8 clients in one day I don't expect hours of 1:1 time but I do hope to see some improvements and if he drives my car that would be a real eye opener especially as I anticipate that he will smoke my best time
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote