Thread: Remapping ECU
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #17
Gelbster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
One of the most common, and least appreciated, effects is the inability of a reflashed car to pass modern "advanced" smog testing (read connect with the OBD II system and read) now required in many states. We have had cars ranging from 986 Boxsters to 996 Turbos that failed these tests after getting the DME "flashed", and the only way to get them through was to take the DME back to stock programming. This used to only happen once in awhile, but is now cropping up more often, apparently as the state systems get better at noticing something is different.
Thanks for chiming in JFP. I hate to see people get in legal & financial trouble with the Authorities when they were just enjoying their car hobby.
We have the new "DAD" machines in Calif and they are very effective at detecting any changes to the ECU. I have an interest in a repair facility that uses this equipment.The DAD compares the tested car's ECU to a 'map' of the stock ECU values. They give a report of all the differences. The DAD equipment automatically Flags 'tunes' and issues a Fail. The FAIL Report requires the owner to go to a Referee. Silly name. It really means instrument of unlimited financial torture and legal misery.
These DAD machines are gradually becoming the standard in other States. There is some uncertainty about how far back in time their ECU map knowledge goes and if they are extending it .The resources deployed to catch a few Tuners is alarming.
We recently had this discussion elsewhere and I linked DAD Training videos to indicate how effective their detection system is. I like 'tunes' and have used them but this DAD system is a game changer.No Tunes for me anymore. I abandoned posting when people with tunes insisted they could get around the test - but hadn't bothered to study the DAD materials. Now the weeping tales of misery with the Referee are beginning to creep into some car tuning Forums. The worst scenario is that you get a new Smog Test to sell a car. After the test you reflash the ecu to impress a potential buyer with the performance of the car. Later the new owner fails a Smog Test due to ecu tampering. It gets nasty real fast .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote