View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #31
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernicus View Post
So the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving with the top down, got to work and the top wouldn't go back up. The break light comes on. The light that shows that the top is ooening or closing comes on. I can not get that light to go on or off. Either by trying to go up or by pressing the down button. The lights in the dash dim a bit when I press the button.

'99 boxster
It has never happened before.

After letting it sit all night, it still doesn't work. I have looked at the fuses and the relay. Everything looked ok to me.

Any other things I could try?
Your '99 has the "A Version" top transmissions and set up, including the B-Pillar microswitch and the black lever microswitch (directly on top of the electric motor).

If the lights in your dash dim a bit when you press the button, that usually is an indication of too much resistance, something preventing the top from moving. Without more information, it's difficult to determine whether your transmissions "over-rotated" and that is making it difficult to move the top frame assembly (the "A Version" transmissions have a half-moon shaped gear inside, unlike the "B Version", which is a complete 360 degree gear).

One thing you might try to further isolate the problem is to try to power on the electric motor by itself, without it having to drive the cables. To do that, as I described above, pull the upside U-Clip up on each side of the motor and that will allow you to pull the respective cable out of each side of the motor. Then you can press the button and see if the electric motor spins. To completely isolate the motor, you would have to supply separate power from a 12V power source, such as another battery, but try it with the power coming from depressing the switch first.

If you are completely unfamiliar with the location of the parts, take a look at the write-up on Mike Focke's website. There are photos of all of these parts, here: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Let us know what happens, if anything, when you do that.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote