View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 05:15 AM   #4
steved0x

GT3 brake ducts are an easy mod and inexpensive:
Porsche Genuine GT3 Brake Cooling Ducts for 987 Cayman New Genuine | eBay

This will help keep your front brakes cooler.

For my first 2 events I used ATE type 200 racing brake fluid, the OEM Porsche Brake pads, and my 320 tread wear summer tires (Sumitomo HTR Z III)

These worked out well - the tires had plenty of audible feedback to let me know when they were working hard and the brakes held up fine. (I did get a false brake wear light on because I melted the sensor in the front, so I have deleted the sensors, I check the brakes enough to know if one is getting low)

If I had kept with those tires once I got faster though I probably would have chunked them up due to the heat and wear.

I then moved to the Hankook R-S3 200 TW summer tire. I only had 1 set of wheels at this time so I drove on them as my street tire. They lasted a year of street driving and events. I'm still on my second set of backs, 19 track days and around 8,000 miles of driving.

I got an alignment and maxed out my front negative camber (close to -1), kept -1.6 in the back, 1/16" toe-in in the back and no toe in the front. Also went to EBC RedStuff brake pads and added the GT3 brake ducts.

This worked out well for a while, but as I got faster I would tear up the outer edges of the fronts due to the limited negative camber. I installed GT3 LCA to get more negative camber and solved that problem and am on my 3rd pair of R-S3 in the front, 13 events so far and 4000 miles. They have plenty of life left while the backs need some work.

I am holding off on going to stickier tires because I am still not fully maximizing the grip on these tires.

What are your current tires? If they are a good summer tire you can stay on them for a little while. Some experienced folks run their Michelin PS2 and Super Sports as their main track tire.

Any video or pics from the event?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote