Thread: 2nd gear issues
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
Gelbster

Markus and I have beaten this transmission lubrication issue to death in previous Posts on the subject. We investigated every alternative in exhaustive ,geekish detail. I hate being forced to buy from the Dealer and having no choice about it.But that is exactly what the best choice is - unfortunately !
Far worse is neglecting to change this fluid as frequently as required in the Maintenance Schedule.
There are 2 bearings in the 6 speed transmission that are vulnerable regardless of fluid used. They are the ones that are grease-filled and sealed for (a short) life. Same story as the IMSB - once the seals fail, the grease is lost. These bearings are well above the normal transmission oil level so it is suggested that they receive inadequate lubrication from a little splash and g-force caused slopping of the oil.If the oil level is low - even worse!
Hopefully an expert(not me !!) will chime in with an authoritative explanation. The short version is that if your 6 speed has over 60kmiles ,you need to subscribe to this thread.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote