View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
steved0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
How do you like it? I've been considering one on the 964 since the stock knob's leather is shot but the boot is still good.
I like it, but the one I have doesn't seem to be offered anymore, maybe it is just out of stock? The one I have looks just like the one in the photo above, except that I think the neck on it may be slightly shorter.

I tried to reuse an OEM boot that I got from Woody but I accidentally destroyed it. So I used the plastic clip from that boot and I got an eBay boot, which was OK but I made a slight tear in it when I installed it. Apparently you are supposed to soak it in some warm water first to make it more flexible before stretching it over the frame.

If your boot is good and just the knob is shot you might me able to cut away the knob and reuse the boot. The longer neck style of the newer Function first knobs is actually better for that because it lets the new knob sit a little lower on the shaft and so the boot isn't stretched as far, if that makes sense. When I first installed mine I installed it in the highest position, but then I couldn't shift into reverse because the boot was stretched too tight.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote