View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #12
jpc763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi John,

is that a 35W HID kit? Or is it higher rated? Both, a 35W or a higher rated HID kit use more ampere at start up than normal bulbs. Also the HID headlight bulbs must match the ballasts capacity.

did a short search on the wiring myself and found this:
Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

Wow, that's not how it should be wired in general, because Xenon HIDs suck more amperes than standard headlamps, especially when they start up. That's why in general there is an additional relay with an additional fuse that are both adjusted to the higher ampere consumption, especially at the start up of the headlamps.

That means the ballasts are switched by the cars light relay which is switched by the light switch. Additionally there are the headlight fuses of the car.

If the light switch would not work, the headlight would not try to ignite. The headlights are not switched by the headlight switch itself, they are switched by the light relays.

Because of the fact that the headlights try to ignite i would say the ballasts are both gone or you have a wiring problem at the ballasts, or they didn't get enough ampere to start up.

Additional question:
Do the normal headlights work in your car?

Regards, Markus

PS: the wiring diagrams for ROW, USA and Canada differ a bit when it comes to headlights. Canada for example has additional relays for daytime running lights.
Hi Markus,

The thread that you posted is the HID conversion that I have, Mine are gen 1 (before Pelican Parts sold them).

Unfortunately, I do not have the old headlights so I cannot test to see if they work. Perhaps I can find another owner nearby that can help me.

Thanks, John