View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998Boxsterrr View Post
First off, how common are these issues?
Fairly common. Do a search and you should find several threads on each issue.

Quote:
Worth repairing?
Definitely.

Quote:
Is it something i can go given limited mechanical experience (but willing to get my hands dirty)?
Yes, but it will take patience. Some of these are not 15min fixes but they aren't rocket science either.

For example, you'll have to trouble shoot the SAI system to determine which component (pump, wiring, change over valve, etc) is causing the fault. The trouble shooting can be detailed and a bit tedious.

Quote:
anyways, looking for some general guidance as to what to do...
Buy the Bentley repair manual. This will help guide you through the repairs. Here is a used one for only $45: Porsche Boxster Service Shop Manual Bentley

Also, buy the 101 Projects book. This will walk you through many common projects. Here is one for $16: 101 Projects For Your Porsche Boxster

Quote:
... which to approach first.
I'd start with getting the car to run properly and then work on the secondary issues.

Thus, I'd start with the the O2 sensor first.

Next, move to the Fuel Pump Relay issue.

With the engine running well, then I'd address the brake light sensor. This could be a sensor issue (which is cheap and easy) or the brakes may be worn and in need of replacement. This should be fairly straightforward to inspect and diagnose.

I'd save the SAI issue for last (which is emissions related and generally doesn't affect the operation/performance of the car).
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-30-2016 at 06:30 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote