View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl2407 View Post
I am thinking about doing mine too, how long did it take you, tires on or off?, how many coats do you have on there?. Did you buy the kit from dipyourcar that included the cleaning agent, or just buy a few cans of plastic dip from the hardware store and wing it?
I've plastidipped several sets of wheels. I didn't use any special cleaner, just soap and water or some other regular wheel cleaner. My tires were still mounted on the wheels but they weren't on the car (I just spread them out on the back lawn). Use blue painters tape around the valve stems and to mask the tires. Painters tape is straight and wheels are round so you have to use a lot of small strips to get good masking coverage. Apply a total of one can to each wheel in multiple light coats (probably 10 or so). A lot of light coats work better than a couple of really heavy coats. Usually, by the time that I sprayed the other three wheels, the first wheel was already dry so I could mostly rotate through the set without waiting too long for drying (another advantage of light coats). Be sure to use a charcoal filtered painters mask so you don't inhale paint fumes the entire time. Well, unless you want to inhale paint fumes - I'm not here to judge. Total time was about 90 mins on a sunny day. That's it. Its really that easy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-15-2016 at 08:14 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote