View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
jb92563

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
It was nice meeting you at CFOS

RE-71 is the HOT tire
in 17's 255/40 rear and 225/45 front is a good combo if using stock wheels, 8.5 rear and 7 front.
If you are running in PCA and in a SS class, you can go up to 285 rear and 245 front and wheel width 10 rear & 8 front. If not staying in a stock class, then the width is not really an issue

Check the tire diameters on TireRack and match the front and rear as much as you can. This is very important if you have PSM, not as much without

BTW, 255/40-17 RE-71 is out of stock everywhere right now with availability in early to mid May. Kind of sucks as the $70 rebate expires Apr 30. I guess you could buy them from Costco who has similar pricing to TireRack and pay up front and wait for the tires to come in a few weeks. Costco gives you an instant rebate rather than a gift card mailed a few weeks later

I have used RedStuff for AX and track and just went with YellowStuff and did a track weekend. Yellow Stuff is a higher temp pad, but it is dustier than RedStuff. I have not had any squealing once I bedded the pads

If you are looking for a DD pad that is good for AX and some track, RedStuff is a good choice. They have very little dust
Search out the best price you can find online and then call Summit Racing. They will beat the price by $1.00 and EBC is drop shipped from a warehouse in Las Vegas, so 1 or 2 day delivery and no sales tax

If you need rotors, look for sets of Meyle rotors on ebay, about $85 for front set and $75 for rear set (not each!)
It was nice to meet you too, and Cuda for the first time as well. What is Cuda's first name? I'm bad with names.

Don't have PSM but I'll go with the 255's & 225's.

I checked Costco's web site and they did not show the Potenza RE-71R's. Do I have to go in and special order them or do different Costco's have different tire selections?

Great tip on Summit Racings price match for the EBC brakes since I can also save the tax as well vs the Amazon source.

Redstuff are ceramic and Yellowstuff are aramid fibers that are supposed to last longer with greater friction and heat tolerance.

I'll give the EBC YellowStuff a try since its only $40 more than the redstuff.
Don't care about the rotor dust as the 3000 psi pressure washer takes care of that in seconds.

Great tip on a rotor source as well, those are great prices for a pair of rotors.
I'll have to measure to see if they need replacing yet.
I'm real easy on brakes and rotors during daily driving as I use engine braking mostly and don't ride peoples bumpers.
I still need to learn more aggressive speed and breaking before turns during Auto-X to get my times down.

Good to know that the yellows don't make noise if they are bedded properly.
I kept reading that some folks get lots of constant squeal but I presume its due to incomplete bedding or needing new rotors as not everyone has that issue.

With the EBC Yellow's do you need to order any additional bits like noise damping or shims material, or do they come with all that you need?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote