View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #33
steved0x

So far here is a list of possible ways/tools to remove and replace our wheel bearings:

These all have some things in common:
  • You can do the backs leaving the wheel carrier on the car if your tool is portable
  • You have to remove the front wheel carrier from the strut since the strut blocks access to the back of the stub axle - I haven't gotten to these yet so I can't confirm this with first-hand knowledge.
  • You have to use something to get the inner bearing race off the hub after you pull it. Maybe this? Bearing Separator and Puller Set Also see Mier's thread below. And Gilles has a method for cutting it off as well.

SIR B90-P
  • Can pull the hub
  • Can pull the old bearing
  • Can press the new bearing
  • Can press the hub
See Mier's excellent thread: rear wheel bearing

Hydraulic shop press
  • All wheel carriers must come off the car
  • Hassle disconnecting the ebrake cable from inside
  • Can press out the hub
  • Can press out the old bearing
  • Can press the hub

See Timco's excellent thread: Wheel bearing tutorial for us simple guys...

Harbor Freight FWD Bearing service kit - ~$119
FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters
  • You have to do something else to pull the hub. One was is to get some long bolts that match the lug bolts and use 3 of them to press back on the carrier and pull the hub. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4PK1jXhppE
  • Can press the hub

OTC Grappler: https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-hub-grappler%E2%84%A2
Looks pretty cool Can do all the stuff the SIR tool can do. And supposedly supports impact guns.

Edit: looks like you can buy just the puller for a little over $100 and use it in conjunction with something like the HF wheel bearing kit, see how this guy does it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ-5UGr3DMk

Arnnworks 944 Bearing hub tool: ~$98 Bearing Tool
  • You have to do something else to pull the hub. One way is to get some long bolts that match the lug bolts and use 3 of them to press back on the carrier and pull the hub. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4PK1jXhppE
  • Can press the hub

Does it work on the Boxster? On their compatibility chart it seems to say it works on the rears but it list the fronts of a 2001 996 as well. It only has 1 size insertion disc which I bet is sized to the fronts on an S and to all 4 corners on a base.

Edit: I emailed Bruce to see what size the pressing adapter plate is. Also it looks like his tool uses a 944 axle nut washer for the smallest size adapter for backing the inner race when pressing in the hub, that would have to be sourced from somewhere

Edit 2: Got replay from Bruce, sounds like the tool would work for both base and S bearing, the installation plate is 78mm, slightly larger than our fronts, but since that bearing is mounted flush to the wheel carrier, sounds like that would be no problem.

I think the base Boxster has the same bearing at all 4 corners. Here is a link (I don't recommend this brand for Boxster wheel bearings, heard nothing but bad, but it does include size specs)

ELECTRONIC CATALOG - LOOKUP BY APPLICATION

Using a 2000 as an example
Front: 412.90000 OD 75mm ID 42mm Width 37mm
Rear base: same as front
Rear S: 412.90003 OD 80mm ID 42mm Width 42mm

So the rear S bearing is 5mm larger OD and 5mm wider.

Pulling the bearing and pulling pressing the hub would share the same size adapters. Only with pressing in the bearing, you might need a slightly larger adapter to press the outer race of the S rear bearing. However, the Sir B90-P tool I am using appears to use the same adapter for pressing both front and rear (I haven't done the fronts yet). And the HF FWD kit doesn't list the adapters. Possibly a large heavy dury washer in front of a smaller adapter could work?

Maybe we can make a new thread and folks that have done their wheel bearings can add on to it?

Last edited by steved0x; 10-27-2016 at 05:21 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote